With Heymarket Web, you can import contacts from a CSV into Heymarket.
Setting up the CSV
- Download the CSV file (at the bottom of the article) to your computer and open it. Alternatively, you can create your own CSV file.
- Populate the first row of the CSV with fields/columns for searching contacts in Heymarket. Required fields/columns are First Name, Last Name, and Phone Number. Optionally, you can include a field/column called List to import contacts directly into Heymarket lists.
- You can also add as many custom fields/columns as you like. Some examples of custom fields include: email address, street address, sales stage, and account status.
In the CSV file you can include a column Opt Out. If included, you will have to include the following values:
For true: “yes”, “y”, “true”, “t”, “1”,
For false: “no”, “n”, “false”, “f”, “0"
Example CSV 1
- If you haven't already done so, set up your Heymarket Web account or sign in.
- Click on 'Contacts' on the left side.
- Click on 'Import Contacts' in the top-right corner.
- You can now import contacts from the CSV file. You can also include custom fields (columns) that can be searched for within Heymarket. NOTE: first name, last name, and number are required columns.
- Click on Replace duplicate contacts to have the import overwrite existing contacts in Heymarket that have the same phone number.
- Click on Replace list memberships to have the import overwrite existing contact lists.
Example CSV 1 with "Replace duplicate contacts" and "Replace list memberships" checked
Using the above examples, you will notice that the List row changed from Potential Client to Client, which will remove John Doe from the Potential Client list and add him to the Client list.
With our Zapier Integration, you can also automate this process with your favorite contact management system.
When your Contact Import finished, an email will be sent to Team members who are in the Owner, Team Administrator, and Contact Administrator roles notifying of the completion of the contact import.
Contact Import Reports
You can view the status of your imports, by clicking on the Contact Imports tab within contacts.
This report will show you imports in progress, completed, and failed. You will also be able to view warnings or errors related to the uploads.
If your contact import throws an error message, please verify
- Ensure that there are no special characters within the CSV. This tool can help detect and flag special characters that are not supported. Note that any characters highlighted in red that are not 0x0009 will cause the import to fail.
- The first row in the columns must contain the First Name, Last Name, and Phone Number. As a note, these must match exactly as listed above.
- Hyphen on names should be subtituted with space instead. Hyphen are still considered as special character which can make your import fail.
- The CSV file being imported must be < 1 MB in size.
- All contact must contain either First Name, Last Name, or a Phone Number.
- If you only have a Business Name, you may split the business name in half or put ‘Business’ under your First or Last name field. As long as the two columns have data under them, your import should work.
- Make sure phone numbers are in the same format.
- If there are extra columns with no data, delete them.
- Will I lose my message history if I imported my contacts from a CSV file and selected 'Replace Duplicate Contacts'? When importing contacts from a CSV file in Heymarket, you’ll lose message history if:
- The contact’s privacy setting is ON (checkable at https://app.heymarket.com/admin/fields/).
- You select ‘Replace List Membership’ during import.
- Please make sure that the file format is CSV.
Here is a sample CSV file that you can populate with your contacts to import into Heymarket: